Social Media Cleanse

 Some of you may know (if you follow me on IG as well as FB), that I took some time off all social media sites. I was doing some research and read an article that said that people send too much time on those sites and not enough time in the real world. Also that they tend to make themselves sick of having to make everyone else happy but not bothering to make themselves happy.

That's exactly what was happening to me. I was getting too involved with having to make sure that I commented with 4 words on ALL posts (sometimes there isn't a lot to say about your post, I'm sorry but it's true. Other times I can talk till the cows come home). Some posts are repeats and hey that's completely cool I don't mind that at all! NOT what I'm trying to say. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes we all need a break from all sites.

 Admit it, you've got your notifications on all the time for every site out there. It notifies you when Jenny posts or when Johnny liked your post back. Is all that bad? No, it's completely fine. Here's why I decided to leave those sites for awhile. I was spending all of my time on there validating myself on there. Worried about what others will think of my posts, about my pictures, what I had to say, etc. I also spent WAY too much worrying and commenting on people's posts who don't even bother to like mine or comment on mine back. They are just interested in their follower count, their likes on their photos and comments. Not caring about what I post or what I had to say. Which is fine for them, if they want to be selfish and only think about themselves fine. But that doesn't mean that I HAVE to be that way.

I was so so obsessed with making everyone happy by commenting, liking, writing 4 words to EVERY post that they made, that I was not sleeping well. I was tossing and turning worrying if I liked their post, or commenting because I didn't want them to think badly of me. Which is just ridiculous & pretty sad of me.  I mean why was I worrying about what others thought of me when they didn't even care to leave a comment or even like my post? It became too much for me. I just needed to step back and leave for awhile.

Once as I took some time away from those sites, I took a good look at myself. I mean a really hard look about myself, what I wanted, why I was always so sick, why I was always trying to make others happy and never bothering to think about myself. I'm not sure where that aspect of myself came from (I'd assume that's from my childhood or from my parents, but that's not a story I'm going to talk about) but it's not healthy. Sites like facebook and instagram are supposed to be fun, not a chore or homework. That's exactly how it became to me. Having to comment all the time, making sure it was 4 words and I was in a lot of chats on there. I mean I was in WAY too many for my own good.There was other things too but I won't get into why, it's just not worth the effort.

When you spend 90% of your life on a site, having to worry about what others think about you or having to post selfies every day, or a look it just got to be too much! My real life was lacking, it was effecting my relationships, and everything else. IG is supposed to be fun not a chore! it's supposed to be a place where you like & comment on your list, not a demanding place you gotta be present for attendance. I'm not in high school anymore, so I don't need to deal with drama nor did I need with someone telling me like a damn parent that I need to "participate more" or "be more active in the chat" (sorry but those aren't groups, they're chats! HUGE difference? Groups you can do more, chats are where you well chat), "comment with 4 words or more on EVERY post" or else you will not be able to be in our chats no more.  While I appreciate that others are trying to build their page, get more followers, but it was just all too much! It was too much pressure, too much stress to worry about so I left. I will be back every once & awhile but I prefer to write blogs instead. I'm more of a girl behind the camera, who loves to write, who's good at writing. I'm far too shy to be in front of the camera.

While I appreciated people's helpful comments about how I should do "get ready with me videos" or more videos of myself, I hate it. I really do! I do not like having myself recorded. I'm still kind shy about having my picture taken (it's why I started doing selfies in the first place), so doing videos is just out of the question. I do not mind doing videos that are DIYs or even ones that show unboxing but you won't see me behind the camera if I can help it. I also felt major peer pressure by people to have to do things that I didn't want to do, or having to comment all the time. While I don't mind commenting once & awhile, I was in so many chats that there was NEVER a moment that i was getting notified about someone having posted. That just got WAY too much! I'm sorry but I can't be always spending my life on IG commenting!

That's why I took my cleanse. I'll be back but on my own terms and I'll comment, plus like in the future but when I feel like I'm not being pressured to do so. I'll do it because others have shown the same to me, not just because some leader of the chat tells me to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment